As all of you know by now, I am unemployed at the moment. I'll tell ya, looking for a job is time consuming! It has now been 2 months, and thank goodness I am going to hear from a couple of jobs this week because I don't know if I can take being at home anymore! Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the time off and I admire people who stay at home. For me, however, it is not working out.
One of the best things that has come from me being home is the amount of TV I can watch! Sure, the daytime television gets old, but it has been nice to just sit back, relax, and watch a meaningless show. Now, having a blog about seeking happiness while watching TV all the time seems contradictory since there is so much negativity in the media. It's not so obvious, this negativity, but it's there. Whether it's a news anchor telling you a tragic story about a death, tornado, flood, kidnapping, etc. or a show portraying the false-perfect life of the model-woman-police officer with the perfect family, or a Doctor Show telling you that you have symptoms of a fatal disease and you'll be dying tomorrow, or all the commercials with the false-perfect looking-people, or whatever. But, just like most of you, I understand that the media is what it is and laugh at the negativity. It's sad, really, that our entertainment has to remind us all the time how perfect the world could be in our imperfect worlds. Why can't the media be real? Well I guess it wouldn't be as entertaining that way.
There is one show that I have found to be the biggest relief of my day. That show is Ellen. Ellen Degeneres has her own talk show similar to all the other talk shows out there. The difference I have found with Ellen, however, is that she truly cares about people. There was a re-run of her show on the other day that was pretty cool. It was the week before her birthday (January 26th--just like me!), and a fan had made her a beautiful birthday cake decorated with her name on it and some characters from her movies. Ellen had this cake displayed on her coffee table set right in front of her interview chair, so people could see it throughout the show. She also had the woman who decorated the cake on the show so she could help promote the woman's business! Also, on every single show, Ellen dances with the audience. It is so cool that she just goes right into the stands and busts a groove with the people who came to see her show. That got me thinking, would other celebrities do this? Would they take the time to thank their fans for their generosity? Would they take the time to realize that they may motivate us to succeed in life? Would they take the time to help, make sure the world is happy, and take the time to just dance? I'm not sure, but Ellen does. She brings a little happiness into my unemployed world everyday, and gives me hope that life can be good no matter what.
They say laughter is the best medicine. I agree to an extent. Ellen makes us laugh (because after all she is a comedian). But she brings so much more than laughter. She brings us back to our happy places by dancing, playing games, making a fool of herself, giving, thanking, and truly appreciating the support she has. So, maybe it's not just laughter that makes us feel good. Maybe is it truly seeing the good in the world that is the best medicine. I believe we all have the capability to see true goodness, meaningful generosity, and sincere compassion. When we see it in ourselves we feel fantastic, but we expect it because it is within ourselves. It is when we see it in unexpected places like on TV or in the grocery store do we really feel great. There is just something about seeing others do good that makes us more content that the world is a happy place, and that God is everywhere. I see a little bit of that generosity in Ellen everyday on her show, and it makes me happy that a person with such great status can use it for good instead of her own personal gain.
I hope you go out and record an episode of The Ellen Degeneres Show this week just to see what I am talking about! She really is fantastically funny. If you don't smile at least once throughout the show than you can e-mail me and tell me I am wrong. But I doubt that will happen :)
I also hope you stop and look around this week. Sure, there is negativity everywhere, but there is also good everywhere. Stop and focus on the good that is going on around you instead of the bad. It takes some work, but you might just feel a little better about your world, if only for a brief moment. I found little breath of fresh air in the negativity that is TV, and I hope to see more of it this week as well.
Here's a little clip from You-Tube that highlights the funniest moments of Ellen's first 1000 episodes: Enjoy :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHKxE7opwBU
Have you seen random acts of generosity recently? If so, where? How did it make you feel? Let me know! I would love to hear your stories!
Thanks for visiting! See you tomorrow and have a blessed day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment